Are we all happy with the league format?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which match format would you preffer?

13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
25% 25% 
[ 4 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
38% 38% 
[ 6 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 16

Are we all happy with the league format?

Post  LWB on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:06 am

Would anyone like to see a change in the match format?

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are we all happy with the league format?

Post  Baldy on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 am

We sometimes struggle for a foo team so having four doubles loses us another game if we've only got 7. Also some guys need to go away early to start shifts etc or cannae be bothered hanging on 4 hours for a game o doubles.

Do think we need a change though. It used to be 8 singles 2 doubles and have draws before we changed to the current format. Don't know if that was any better. Like the idea of playing more singles with the same players. What aboot picking the top 3 or 5 to play after 8 singles and two doubles?

Also think we should have for and gainst (game differnce) in the league too. It means every game means something, unlike just now when teams leave if they've won or lost before the end.
Baldy

Birthday : 1908-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:57 am

i voted for the old way 8 singles 2 doubles but i agree every frame should mean something not just 6 thats it won were off ,doubles aint my favorite part of a league game so less would do me .3 points a win and 1 for a draw Wink
when struggling for a team and every frame counting it would be a bad thing for baldy having to rely on lesser players for valuable frames. road rage
i dont think 16 singles is the answer there is still a place for doubles in the league fomat i think its a bit of a different challenge to singles maybe not as enjoyable. fart

Admin

View user profile http://levenmouth-pool-league.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  redbeard on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:21 am

I wasnt in the league when it was 8 singles and 2 doubles, but it sounds like a better format, adding more interest to the results.

Have to say 'game difference' would be a good plan i think. It looks good in the league table anyway, and it means every game matters and no playoffs, the games may last longer if teams dont want to give away their spare frames and that means more money over the bars...

Cant see the whole league goin for it tho, especially if they think its an idea cooked up on this evil website Evil or Very Mad

You gonna do or say much about the site at the AGM or anything this year Stoo? We kinda hatched the whole idea at last years one eh? pirat
redbeard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am

what do you mean about the site at meetings beardy the site was brought up at the last meeting from the committe some good comments and some critics as expected, ideas that captains can bring up if they feel its an idea that can work. yeh you did bring it up at the agm. the information on the site gets to people who dont goto meetings ,captains dont inform there teams of everthing that happens at meetings you get the results in the mail but that dont tell you the singles is on or didnt in the past the guy doin the treasurers job does seem to be doin a bit more than others in the past to inform players of fixtures in the mail. what do you want me to bring up Question
the idea to change the format of the fixture has been done on more than 1 ocassion that i can remember i voted for it to be 2 doubles and 3 points the last time.
in the past more publicans went to meetings and wanted a way of teams playing all the games so we stay in there boozer longer im all for that even though there is some boozers i dont want to hang around in.
swally
the idea of each frame counting is a good idea but teams will still conced when the magic 6 is reached ive conceaded winning or lossing in that situation.its like having a best player thing with everybody posting there singles results some may conced there last frame short of players and give the win to the player or if 6-0 up last 2 players get wins but didnt play. you never voted did you beardy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  joebuck on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 am

Think people would want more games not less? 8 singles and 2 doubles, this means that 4 guys instead of 2 no getting a second game, increasing the chance of some player's no getting a game at all if more than 8 turn up, this is the reason teams struggle to get enough player's.

The least that should be getting played is 8 singles and 4 doubles.

Make frames count in the league for placing's only, don't want league decided that way if 2 teams r tied at the top then a play off should take place either home and away on agg. score or one match in a neutral venue.

Changing the format needs to b thought out as u don't want to get later and later as this sickens player's also, the tipy tapy rules played in this league can lead to slow and drawn out games and therefore increasing games may lengthen the nights.

Example from tried idea's from Glenrothes league:-

8 singles + 4 doubles was always the format for years and years, the doubles though were very slow with guys talking to each other for ages between every shot.

Blackball rules were bought in, this quickened up the singles but doubles were still taking ages because of the talking.

Blackball rules stayed as the overwhelming majority liked them, creates a more attacking type of pool.

Format's tried since blackball rules came in:- first of all 8 singles, 2 doubles follwed by 4 singles (a player could only to 2 games max. on a night), this was a success but the again talking in the doubles slowed things.

Now we play 8 singles followed by 8 singles, doubles have been dropped all to-gether. Very good format using blackball rules, would probably make for a long night night playing Leven rules?

For Double lover's, there was a suggestion that was never used in our league to play scotch doubles instead of format already used. (could even ban talking in doubles all to-gether). Laughing Laughing Cool

and

S.W.I.A.C.
joebuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 pm

in Glenrothes we play 2 sets of 8 singles which i think is great....but wouldnt work thru here with our rules coz theres too much fudging......

whereas in Dunfermline we play 8 singles then 4 singles and if it goes to 6-6 we play a decider.....the winner of the decider gets 2 points and the loser of the decider gets 1 point..... ive always preffered both of these league formats to our format here in leven as i dont like doubles very much.
if we were to keep doubles in this i would love to see them introduce scotch doubles instead of normal doubles as its more of a laugh and makes sure both players in a doubles team definately get a shot at least......eh beardy lol!

so my vote would be for either 8 singles and 4 singles with a decider maybe or 8 singles and 2-3 SCOTCH doubles Cool

will never change much tho i dont think.......levenmouth league rarely ever changes.

would love to see the Blackball rules brought in tho......think that would give the brig a tougher challenge in the league too cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 pm

four doubles would take til friday morning theres an idea get time of work to finish the game the next day ace pool
i remember playing in the cupar league years ago we had 7 players and still got to play all four doubles with 1 man in the 4rth game mad fuckers up there the bird

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LWB on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Pretty interesting. In my opinion things should either stay the way they are or we should change it to something like how it is in the glenrothes league. Maybe changing it to two sets of 7 singles though. With the rules played in glenrothes some would be surprised how quich this would be played.

We can't really knock the current set-up though, it's obviously well thought out to suit the majority.

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:46 am

good one you can tell fi 5 votes eh. you know something we dont then professor hippy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ayeright on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 am

Has to be either 8 then 2 or 8 then 3. 8 then 4 would be FAR too long!!

I think 8 then 2 is ideal, the no as good players (ie me) are happy no to play doubles even if they've won there singles. The problems start to come in when you have teams which have upwards of 11 or 12 players. We only have about 9 or 10 guys in total and sometimes struggle but I wouldn't want it any other way. We have a team that get on better than ANY team in the league, I've no doubt in that. F*ck having an extra few guys in your team just cos there good players when you really just want to go out and have a game wi your mates and then a good drink and laugh after it.

Teams wi large amounts are always gonna argue if its say 4-4 after the singles, the guys who haveni played singles will want a game, so will the guys who have played well and then what if your 2 so called best players have lost, they'll still expect a game cos the doubles are needed. F*ck that!!!!

Windsor B..............................Proud to be different!!

ayeright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 am

and what is scotch doubles,eggs with meat on how does that work vomit

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Stoo01 wrote:and what is scotch doubles,eggs with meat on how does that work vomit

jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post  LWB on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Stoo01 wrote:good one you can tell fi 5 votes eh. you know something we dont then professor hippy

You not happy with my opinions Stoo? I'm basing that on there being no one thing that teams seem to want instead of what we've got. I'm basing it on the fact that we've had this format for years so it's either been voted on and passed or nobody has bothered to bring up the fact that it should change. But as I said, I would preffer something different.

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:23 pm

ive played the last 2 and a half seasons with this format.i missed 2 seasons it was 8 singles 2 doubles so they changed that but thats what i would prefer, i do think it was a good topic to bring to the forum i just like being cheeky Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LWB on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Sorry Stoo I'm maybe a bit too sensetive in my old age mate lol!

I think if the league was full of guys who want to play pool and have a laugh till the end of the night even 4 doubles would be great to me, but people have to get up early for work n stuff so there we go. Personally I say the longer the games go the better. We've tried to play every frame this season, apart from the denn b to get away to watch the denn brig game.

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joebuck on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:35 am

bambooozled wrote:
Stoo01 wrote:and what is scotch doubles,eggs with meat on how does that work vomit

jocolor

Scotch doubles = Basically each player has a shot each instead of a visit each. ie:- If u pot a ball then ur partner plays next shot and so on. Exclamation Exclamation

and

S.W.I.A.C.
joebuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 am

joebuck wrote:
bambooozled wrote:

jocolor

Scotch doubles = Basically each player has a shot each instead of a visit each. ie:- If u pot a ball then ur partner plays next shot and so on. Exclamation Exclamation

im sure the question was a pisstake joe..... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  joebuck on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 am

bambooozled wrote:
joebuck wrote:
bambooozled wrote:

jocolor

im sure the question was a pisstake joe..... Laughing

Thought I would explain it anyway, u never know some of u guys in Levenmouth might have went to Kirkland High Question we need u

and

S.W.I.A.C.
joebuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:39 am

kirkland that is harsh No

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am

Stoo01 wrote:kirkland that is harsh No

take it u went there stoo?? Laughing
stoo have u mentioned to anyone in ur team or in the leven league about the possibility of taking a leven team into the EFPL??
just curious to see how many and who might be interested Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:51 am

no i went to buckhaven thats were i got the web logo from if you look carfully
i havent mentioned it but maybe a couple o players may be interested we were thinking of going through to glenrothes last summer for a tour swally but never got round to it

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LWB on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:57 am

I went to kirkland. n ah lernt prity ged ye no hink.

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  STOO01 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 am

did you pick up the language quick coming fi the phillipines Razz

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LWB on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Stoo01 wrote:did you pick up the language quick coming fi the phillipines Razz

aye no bad tho eh! that picture was taken when my adopted parents brought me back to scotland when I was two years old, nice tash eh lol.

LWB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top